Acquiring SGA’s Food Group of Companies Will Strength US Foods’ Presence
in the Northwest
Food distribution giant US Foods announced last week it would purchase five operating companies from Services Group of America for $1.8 billion in cash.
Based in Scottsdale, Ariz., the businesses, known as SGA’s Food Group of Companies, have 3,400 employees and combined for $3.2 billion in sales in 2017. The group has a strong focus on independent restaurants, with those customers accounting for 40 percent of its sales. The five companies in SGA’s Food Group of Companies include:
- Food Services of America: Regional broadline distribution company serving 16 states in the West and Midwest.
- Systems Services of America: Multiunit foodservice distributor specializing in distribution to casual, fast casual and quick-serve restaurant chains.
- Amerifresh: Produce sourcing and marketing capabilities.
- Ameristar Meats: Provider of custom meat products, including 18 different beef programs.
- GAMPAC Express: Supply chain planning and logistics.
“The acquisition will significantly increase US Food’s reach across key markets in the attractive and growing Northwest region of the U.S. and adds one of the most well-regarded regional distributors to our company,” said US Foods Chairman and CEO Pietro Satriano. “With a shared commitment to customer service, including a proven track record of leveraging technology and private brands to meet customer needs, SGA’s Food Group of Companies is an ideal fit.”
The US Food Board of Directors unanimously approved the acquisition, which is subject to regulatory approval.